Thursday, April 15, 2010

"That's bloody incredible."

On Monday, we set out from our hostel to begin our trip to the end of the Earth. Many of us were concerned about our luggage when we arrived as we'd be warned that we could only pack one bag of 45 lbs. Needless to say, none of us had one bag of 45 lbs. Luckily, the woman that checked us in looked the other way and we all managed to dodge the $100 charge that would have accompanied breaking the rules. We were off to a great start.

I've had the pleasure of taking quite a few flights over the years but this flight will surely top them all. Only a couple days before, a fellow volunteer and I had been talking about an NPR story that examined why time seems to fly by much faster as we age. The theory is that our brain works harder to remember more details when we do things the first time than when we repeat the feat as a way to be efficient and save space. The theory was put into overdrive as we flew over Patagonia and took in some of the most incredible sights I've ever seen. I think I had goosebumps for what seemed like 5 hours...even though the flight was only scheduled for 2. I truly couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing. There were glaciers. FREAKING GLACIERS! I'm absolutely positive that I'll remember that flight for as long as I live.

The immensity of it all was almost too much to handle. It just goes on and on and on for as far as you could see even at 35,000 ft. My new friend, Nathaniel, that speaks Australian said, "That's bloody incredible." I'm not quite sure what it means but it sounds appropriate.

Here are some of the pictures I was able to snap:




No comments:

Post a Comment