Monday, August 23, 2010

I can smell the stink from here.

I've never been one to espouse political opinions openly without being asked. I've always been interested in these things because they are important to where we are and where we're going. I'd say the level of my interest in following current events at the national level could be characterized as mild. I enjoy reading NPR and CNN, probably even more so now that I'm detached from my homeland as a way to try to stay in touch... plus I have a lot more time on my hands these days than I used to. However, by no means whatsoever am I the kind of person that consistently wants to discuss politics or argue contradictory points in order to prove to anyone listening that I have knowledge of a subject that they may not. That being said, taking a minute to post something on this blog that's so far been devoted to my experiences in Chile gives you a clue as to how important some recent news is and how much it's affected me.

While the people of Chile are literally celebrating in the streets after learning that 33 miners involved in a mine collapse almost three weeks ago are still alive, I'm reading about something that's made me embarrassed and concerned about my own country at the most basic of levels. I've read many, many articles about the current debate regarding the Islamic community center being proposed a few blocks from the 9/11 site and the controversy that has ensued. I remember reading an article about the proprietors purchasing the property months ago and how, at that time, there were a handful of concerned NYC citizens that thought the location might be insensitive. I remember reading the article because I instantly had a feeling of dread about what would soon follow. Although it took much longer than I thought, a group of hateful, scared people have created an enormous issue that could affect not only the discourse in many elections in the coming months but the image of our country as a free, welcoming place.

The right to practice and hold any religious beliefs is as important as freedom of speech, right to bear arms or even the right to vote. It's ironic that many of the people standing in these crowds trying to prevent the construction of a perfectly legal center are the same people who sing the praises of the second amendment's right to bear arms. How might they feel if someone tried to tell them they shouldn't be allowed to carry guns because sometimes bad people do bad things with them? The minute we begin to discriminate and attempt to prevent others from living the way they'd like to live is the minute we've ceased to be the United States of America. We were founded with these principles in order to make us different. We've in fact become different and as a result are, albeit arguably, one of the greatest nations in the history of the world. Sacrificing these same principles due to fear and ignorance can only lead to a fundamental change in the character of American culture, politics, expectations and capacities. Some of the community centers opponents have argued that Arab countries wouldn't allow Christian churches to be built near their historic sights (or at all in some cases). That is 100% true, of course they wouldn't. That's exactly what makes us different. We would, we should and we will.

I've heard multiple protesters saying incredibly ignorant, shameful things that make me squirm. While I would agree that the placement of the center was contentious and questionable, I must take the organizers reasons for doing so seriously. They say their hope is to educate and inform the people of the community about Islam in an effort to dispel the kinds of rumors and misinformation that lingers throughout our country. It's this very same hearsay that leads these protesters to make false claims and monger fear among people that don't have the time to find the facts. I read one specific article about a community meeting in NYC where the center was discussed and a man named Zaed Ramadan. When it was his turn to speak, he held up his US passport in an effort to deflect some of the obvious flippant dismissals that could occur when he spoke. Unfortunately, the crowd didn't even give the man a chance to speak as they shouted him down at a public debate as he began to explain his opinion. I can only imagine how terrible he must have felt to be surrounded by such disrespect and disregard. Again, it's embarrassing and I can't believe such shamefulness has been allowed to occur.

There are also those that demand President Obama take a position on the topic. I find the claims to be entirely convenient for this time and place. The President took the high road by reiterating our country's constitution that allows freedom of religion. He opted not to interfere with local matters that are out of his jurisdiction and frankly, none of his concern. Imagine that... President Obama, the same one who was being called a communist who couldn't wait to take control of every aspect of your life a few months ago, was letting the people work it out instead of exerting power where it wasn't needed. Demanding that he decide what needs to happen now is hypocrisy in every sense of the word.

It's very sad this Islamaphobia is gaining so much traction throughout the country because it will surely only prove to alienate and anger Muslim people across the world. This alienation and anger is the fuel for the terrorist fire that burns inside the schools and organizations that condone and support violence these protesters are so afraid of. The more we push these people away now, the more sure we can be that this issue will one day come to a point of no return in the future. We'll only have ourselves to blame if we allow this angry, awful energy change the nature of who we are.

Self-fulfilling prophecies are fun, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment