Friday, November 19, 2010

Mi discursito

Today was my last day of class. How this day arrived so quickly is beyond my realm of comprehension. They had a small assembly with the high schoolers (which represents most of my students) where they gave me the opportunity to say a few words to the girls I've been working with this year. Some of the girls also came up and said a few thank yous and gave me gifts. I even got a little planner with daily quotes from the bible from the head nun... not sure what I'm going to do with that.

At any rate, it was a great day that also was quite sad. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The students are what made me keep going. Without them, I'm not sure I would have made it. It certainly wouldn't have been nearly as fun or rewarding. Whenever I was out of my mind with stress about teachers/home/the Chilean educational system/Spanish, the students are the thing that brought a smile to my face. For that, I'll always hold their memory in a special part of my heart. I know that sounds quite mushy but I've been lucky to have students that seemed to enjoy my company so much. They made my job easier and made my life better.

Anyway, in an effort to preserve the memory of the day, I thought I'd post what I said at the end of our assembly. I'm not going to lie, I had to fight off some tears towards the end. If you can't read Spanish, I guess you'll have to ask me to explain next time you see me... or you can try your luck at translate.google.com.

Primero, quiero decir gracias... muchisma gracias a todos. No puedo agradecerles lo suficiente. Siempre ustedes me han hecho sentir bienvenido y querido. Por eso, voy a tener nada más que recuerdos fantasticos.

Aprender un nuevo idioma es dificil y el aprendizaje de la vida en un pais extranjero es más dificil. A veces me sentía mal porque todo parecío extraño pero siempre ustedes me hicieron sentir mejor con sus palabras buenas y sonrisas hermosas. La verdad es que yo no lo habria logrado sin ustedes.

Yo vine por enseñar ingles y aprender castellano. Mientras espero que todos han aprendido algo de Inglés, realmente espero que todos hemos aprendido algo acerca del mundo. Es mucho más pequeño que todos pensamos. Yo creo que no somos tan diferentes.

Ustedes han sido bendecidos de vivir en un pais hermoso con mucha variedad. Hay que aprovecharlo y verlo. Haganme un favor y disfruten de la belleza que tienen a su alrededor, porque la mayoría de las personas en este mundo no tienen tanta suerte.

Hay un dicho en Inglés que, más o menos, dice “Paso a paso, puede llegar muy lejos”. Deseo que todos tienen el valor y la fortuna de dar muchos pasos en sus vidas. Si los pasos que se dan a los Estados Unidos, recuerda que siempre tendrán un amigo alla.

De nuevo, muchas gracias por todo. Aunque soy de un pais que está muy lejos, una parte de mi siempre será de Magallanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment